Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Cooking From Scratch



I have been on this "real food" kick lately.  I'm hoping it's more than just a kick because I'm actually enjoying this!
Basically,  the short version is you don't eat anything with more than 4 ingredients (try for no chemicals,  preservatives...) and don't eat processed food. Limit your preservatives to as little as possible.  This includes any salt.
You'll be cooking a lot but you'll feel great!
The main thing I was struggling with was food for my daughter.  It seems like anything she'll eat has super processed and full of preservatives. So I figured I would start with snacks.
Goldfish!!
I premade my "dough" so I dont have pictures of that... but I'm sure I'll be making these again soon! ;) This time, I decided to go with whole wheat, but I've done them before with the regular recipe.
So here is the recipe for the dough:
1 1/2 cups cheddar (I like mild cheddar)
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon Lipton onion soup powder
Mix all ingredients in a food processor until a dough is formed. 
When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F.
You can freeze the dough for up to two weeks.
Roll out your dough to approximately 1/8".
Once you have. Your dough, you can start cutting out you shapes. I've used different things to cut out my tasty treats. I mainly use piping tips. Today I decided to be adventurous and make fish shapes. 
I started with my piping tip and used some tools to bend in into a fish shape.
Cut out your fish, or whatever shape you are using,  and place them on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
Cook for 10-13 minutes. Once you take them out, place them on a plate to cool down.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment